Instagram has become a valuable marketing tool for many industries, including higher education. Yet many institutions are unsure how to utilize Instagram (or remain unconvinced of its influence on consumers). Is your institution profiting from this beneficial form of social media?
Why use IG for marketing?
- Reach potential students: 80% of IG users live outside of the U.S.
- Target international student demographic: 59% of users are ages 18-29
- 80% of IG users follow a business
- 71% of businesses use IG, double from 2016
- Influencers overwhelmingly prefer IG for brand collaboration: consider scholarships for international influencers*
Tips for posting school photos on Instagram
- Develop/use branded hashtags (7 out of 10 hashtags on IG are branded!)
- Always use a location (posts with a location receive almost 80% more engagement)
- Post on weekdays: this is when engagement is highest
- Photos receive 36% more engagement than videos.
- Post photos of students and staff: photos with faces receive 38% more likes
- Consider the overall look of the gallery (vertical vs. horizontal photos; consistent filters and borders)
- Use logos (naturally) in photos when possible
- Create a gallery that is a mix of campus activities, academics, and social outings
- Use photos to illustrate your school’s diversity
- Make use of Instagram stories for content that is relevant but not necessary for your gallery (posts disappear within 24 hours)
- Don’t be afraid to promote programs and specials: 65% of top performing IG posts feature a product
- Host IG contests with your students: user-generated content has a 4.5% higher conversion rate.
- Don’t be afraid of emojis: 50% of content on IG has at least one emoticon
Need more tips on marketing your educational institution online? Contact Lastarria Media.
* be sure to develop a clear agreement regarding the content that must be posted in exchange for an influencer’s scholarship
Copyright 2018, Lastarria Media, LLC.